Thursday, June 28, 2012

Syracuse!

Well Syracuse is over and I am ready to share the race break down with the world! I have to state that the race coordinator and volunteers were a dream to race with. They were on top of everything and were there to help with any issue. To start the trip off my parents got a campsite 2 HOURS away from the race site, so we contacted the race director and he told us we can camp 200 yards away from the transition. That was pretty much the best race morning experience I have ever had. Now off to the good part:

The swim portion was a easy and calm swim. I did it in 29 minutes and some change, but I have to say that I learned something new for the swim start. I can see myself starting in the front of the pack in the swim rather then towards the back and trying to fight through people to get to the open water. I was forced into a trap and was slowed down for a solid 2 minutes, but I found a way out of the pickle to manage a steady pace for the rest of the swim.

Out of the water and onto the bike, but before I actually got to the bike I had to manage a 300 meter long run from the beach to the transition area. Got a little lost in the transition area for a rough 45 seconds. When I did find the bike I made it work for me! I had the 11th fastest bike split out of everyone.. Even the pros! First 15 miles of the bike course was just up, up, up, and up hill battle. I cranked the pedals and left nothing on the uphills, but I felt my frame bending because of the Aluminum frame I ride on and lost some power because of it. the next 31 miles on the course was just cruising time. I had a few times when my back was tightening up due to a poor night sleep, but i punched in a 2:20 on a very challenging my course. People were telling me that the bike course was harder then Lake Placid's.

Off the bike and into the run and I thought I was going to rip the pavement off the blacktop, but I was wrong! The first 2 miles off into the run I was slightly pushing and I was at a 12:28 on the first two miles and then right around mile 3 I felt a slight tension in my left leg when it hit. Before I could even think anything of it, when it struck the ground again my leg just ceased up. I was forced to walk the uphill! I have never walked ever in a run or race. I was in such pain and could not bare it I was forced to walk 3 times in the walk, but had the will power to keep on running and keep on pushing when my body allowed it. The first two miles I got to pace 3 PROS on the run course and they were telling me when I figure out my nutrients that they will be looking out for me. Talk about motivation from a upper class athlete! I had a better showing then Panama, but struggled in the run and missed my run time by 12 minutes.

In the aftermath I was pretty stoked as I earned my Worlds spot to Vegas and I took 30th out of 1300 plus athletes. I won my division by 8 minutes and just had a respectful race, but I an assure you when Vegas comes around I will have everything figured out nutrient wise and I will be tearing heads off :).. Peace, Love, and Chicken Grease

No comments:

Post a Comment